Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A MegaMan By Any Other Name Would Blast Just As Accurate

If I were to purchase a turtle today I would certainly name him Curtis. I think the name is fitting for a meek and lovable animal such as a turtle. When you look into a turtles eyes, with the somewhat reticent and blank stare gazing back at you, for some reason it is hard not come up with a name like Curtis. Were Curtis to show a little personality, namely in the form of a brisk (relative to other turtles) walk across a table, I might even give him the nickname "Curt", although I would prefer to spell it with a "K" instead of a "C".

This talk of turtles gives rise to a slightly mind-bending question that has made appearances in my consciousness over the past few months. During these brief and fleeting moments I have wondered one question: does a person's name influence their personality? For instance, do people with unique names have unique personalities? If this is the case, which I suspect it is, how is this possible?

One simple answer to this query would fall under the realms of Social Learning Theory. To be brief, this simple theory would suggest that one's personality would develop as a reflection of the social circumstances in which they live. In other words, the individual acts as a sponge, "soaking up" the numerous social cues, rules, and conventions so to speak.

This theory, if one takes it to be correct, might answer our question in two ways. First, a child born with a unique name - let's call him "MegaMan", or perhaps "Fuschia" for a female name - is clearly more likely to have unique parents since they are the ones who choose the name. With regard to Social Learning Theory then, MegaMan or Fuschia would, in effect, be more likely to continue this familial trend of uniqueness (which some may simply call non-linear thinking) since the bulk of his/her social learning predisposition would be focused towards his/her parents. To sum, unique parents = unique kids.

A second reason Social Learnng Theory might help to explain whether one's name affects his/her personality is due to the notion of a Self-Fulfilling prophecy. Essentially, this sub-theory can be broken down into the short aphorism: if you believe a person to be unique, you will likely treat them in an according fashion. A self-fulfilling prophecy, in my own words, is the unconscious reinforcement of our perceptions of another person i.e. if your name is MegaMan I sure as hell will not treat you the same as if your name was William (although I wish I would).
So far I have attempted to uncover why an individual's personality development may be subject to an external factor. An individual's name, be it John, Mary, Moses, Phillip or Buford, may make a difference. I have attempted to show, on a very shallow level mind you, how a single word can resonate throughout your social web and serve to influence your entire being.
I know there is more, I just haven't thought of it yet.

Yours in thought,
Jared.Concepts.Inc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home